Friday, November 9, 2007

A del.icio.us list of favorites

Our library website has a recommended sites page. A great deal of thought went into the selection of sites and how we would arrange them. Then we had to lay them out on the web site, typing out their titles and creating the links. What a different process it would have been with del.icio.us: find a useful site and simply click on the tagging icon and it would go into our list. We no longer would have to worry about arrangement or where to put sites that fit into more than one category. A site could have several tags and be found under any of them, with the user moving quickly from tag to tag, scanning the contents. I've been impressed where I've seen this in practice on library sites.

For me, del.icio.us is useful because I use four different computers on a regular basis: my office PC, a Reference Desk PC, my home desktop computer and a laptop. There are some sites I go into no matter where I'm logged in, but inevitably, I've ended up with different bookmarks on each. I've also added many, many favorites without getting around to doing much organizing of the list. Tagging on del.ico.us should help me get faster to the sites I'm trying to get back to when I'm trying to solve a problem. I've just started my del.icio.us list, but will try to make this part of my usual web experience.

No comments: