Thursday, March 20, 2008

What I found amazing while thinking about this last Project Play assignment on mashups is how easy applications on the web is making it for us to do things without having to learn much about how they actually function. We can combine different functions, with someone else doing all the coding for us, getting a very sophisticated look with little effort.
To try out Map Builder, I thought I'd have to map a nearby library or another place in our town, because my department head, who's also doing Project Play, mapped ours yesterday. But someone had apparently overwritten part of his work and while the balloon was in the correct place, another library's name and address came up upon clicking on it. I corrected that so that it's back to Fond du Lac Public Library.
I've tried to think of other applications for our library, but can only think of better mapping options than we've used so far, but since mashups are such a rapidly growing field, I hope before too long we can make some creative use of them. It would be one way to make our website more vibrant and appealing.

No comments: