Thursday, January 24, 2008

Google Docs

I was excited by the ideas of Wikis in semester one, but Google Docs would be another good way to collaborate on projects. More than a few times I've gone to open up a document on our network drive to find that someone else has it open. They might be finished and forgot to close it, but until they do, I can only access a copy. It also has the advantage that when someone has revised the document, she doesn't need to send out new copies to everyone involved.

But I like best the idea that if people are going to be working on it in different locations -- work, home, maybe on the road -- they don't need to have the "proper" software installed. They can log in to Google docs and have the editing tools right there.

I don't have a project in mind now for Google docs, but I can see it as a useful tool that we could use to work together.

No comments: