Thursday, February 28, 2008

Podcasts

Our library does podcasts of its annual 8-program Great Decisions foreign policy series and several other programs throughout the year. We record them with a digital audio recorder connected to our meeting room sound system. It's my job to edit that recording in Audacity and export as an MP3 and put it on our website. I have to admit that I was surprised that people continue to listen to these programs-- a year later, our first programs are still getting hits.

We don't do podcasts on a regular basis with an RSS feed. Libraries are doing some interesting things with that. I can see us looking at doing one in the future. But I can say what we have done so far has been a success and contributed to the community interest in these programs. If they can't make it to all the programs in person, they still have an opportunity to hear them. It's one more way that the library can be a part of their lives.

No comments: